Sunday, October 8, 2017

We've got butterflies!

My mom, who moved along with us when we came to Colorado (nearly two years ago already! Times does fly...), had remarked earlier in the summer that she never sees butterflies here. We assured her that Colorado does have butterflies; and the proof showed up last week!

Last Thursday, my husband Mike came in from the front porch and said there were a couple of butterflies on the flowers in our whiskey barrel  planters. They must have liked what they saw, because Friday morning there were at least a dozen of them! They mostly loved the pink lobelia in Mom's planter. I took several photos, which proved to be a bit challenging because they were small and moved quickly.





I paired some of those photos with this sketch from Stuck?! Sketches:


I used the gorgeous amber Moon collection from Prima for my layout:

The background is from Kaisercraft's Basecoat 1 paper pad. I was worried that the pink flowers would clash horribly with the papers' orange prints; but the flowers in my photos also had a lot of yellow, and one of the papers included pinkish butterflies in the print. I found a pinky-orange cardstock on which to mat my photos, so everything seemed to balance out.

My 5-year-old grandson is so proud to be in kindergarten this year. His teacher took a photo of each student in her class on the first day of school and shared the photos with the parents, which I thought was a wonderful idea. My daughter received the photo of Hamish via email.

I used this month's "rewind" sketch from Rochelle Spears' blog and the Alex paper collection from Bella Blvd. for this layout:


Gotta love that big "CHEESE-Y grin! (Well, he does live in Wisconsin, known for its cheese)

I haven't done a pocket-style layout in a while, but I felt inspired by last week's pocket page challenge on the Citrus Twist Kits' blog and thought I would give it a shot. My daughter had posted photos of her family's Labor Day weekend camping trip (the first time they have taken the kids camping). I combined the pictures with the September main kit, paper add-on and embellishment pack from Citrus Twist. I got a little more involved than I intended and ended up with two and a half pages:




The weekend proved to be fun, interesting and challenging, with hikes through the woods, cooking outdoors and rain all day on Saturday. The five-year-old looked around him as they hiked along a woodsy trail and said, "Wow, this place is very tree!" That seems to be an accurate description of a park with 2800 acres of forest.

Thanks for looking! Have a wonderful week



6 comments:

Number 1 said...

Beautiful projects! Thanks for playing along with us at Stuck?!Sketches!

Helen Wallace said...

What fun that you were able to prove the visitation of butterflies to your garden. Lovely work and thanks for playing along at Stuck?! Sketches!

Rachel said...

Beautiful layout and wonderful take on the sketch. Thank you for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches.

Laura Whitaker said...

Fabulous layouts, love your take on the Stuck?! Sketches challenge, your papers and embellishments are so perfect for your photos! Thank you for joining us at Stuck?! Sketches!

Debbi Tehrani said...

Wonderful pages. Gorgeous page you made for Stuck?! Sketches. Beautiful photos and papers! So happy you played with us at Stuck?! Sketches!

Rochelle Spears said...

great layouts! Thanks for playing along with the my blog challenge! :)