Friday, October 14, 2016

A little blast from the past ,,,,

I love to scrap, and I try to make some time for it every day, Recently I ran out of "new" photos to scrap, so I started looking through one of my photo boxes from past years. I found two photos from 2008 that I wanted to scrap.

The first photo is from fall 2008. My late mother-in-law had Alzheimer's disease the last few years of her life and didn't always remember the relationship, but she adored my granddaughter Anna, who was an infant at the time. I took the photo one weekend morning at the coffee shop uptown in our old home town. The papers were from the April 2016 main kit from Citrus Twist Kits; I used various embellishments from my stash and a sketch by Laura Whitacker:


The other photo was taken during our family Christmas get-together in 2008. My grandson Ethan joined his cousins (also my grandchildren) Ryan and Shelbie to frost some sugar cookies. I don't know how many cookies actually got frosted but the kids had fun. I used a sketch from the Citrus Twist Kits blog and the remnants of my December Daily kit from last year.


.... and the card I didn't want to make

My October kit from Citrus Twist Kits (as well as some things for my December Daily) arrived Tuesday afternoon and, as usual, the box was full of lovely papers, embellishments and the like. I had looked forward to spending some time Wednesday planning my DD and creating a fall layout or two. However, all that came crashing down as I checked into Facebook and discovered that a lifelong friend's son had died Tuesday afternoon in a traffic accident. Wanda and I met in Sunday school when we were two years old; we have shared countless milestones over the years (prom, graduation, wedding, losing a parent, raising children ...) but this was one we never thought we would have to deal with. Her son Danny, 29, was driving his pickup down a two-lane highway when a semi truck drove into his lane and hit his vehicle head-on. Danny died at the scene. He is survived by his mom, his sister Laura, his wife of three years, Rachel and their six-month-old daughter Sadie. The semi driver has been charged with improper lane usage, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and use of an electronic communications device while driving (i.e. texting). Danny was well liked in the community, and his death is hitting hard. Someone started a GoFundMe account Tuesday evening in the hopes of raising $10,000 to give to his wife for funeral expenses and for Sadie's education fund. The total this morning is $46,000 and is still growing. 

Unfortunately I now live 1000 miles away from the area where we grew up and where Wanda (who is widowed), her daughter, and Danny's family reside; but I made a card to send. Usually my cards are fairly fussy and ornate; this one is simple. I think it's lovely, but I had a tough time making this one.


My scanner had trouble catching the off-white border on the card's outside; but the three papers are all from Crate Paper's Maggie Holmes "Gather" collection. The stamp is from Stampin' Up; the die cut by Silhouette.

Today is going to be devoted to making a mini-album for my neighbor's new grandson. I also feel the need to talk to my children and grandchildren and tell them I love them. If they lived close by, I would go give them all a hug.

Thanks for looking. Have a great day!

7 comments:

Penny said...

Both of your layouts are adorable, and are the kind of layouts I cherish. Cute photo of your cookie elves, and a wonderful photo of your Mother-in-law. Sorry for your loss. Penny BL

Sarah Rosse said...

What a precious memory to capture of your mother in law! Beautiful. Sarah BL

Nicole Robinson said...

This is a great layout and a sweet photo!! BL

Karen said...

Delicate layout. Love the soft colors for MIL layout.
Love your use of white space and paint splatter in cookie making layout.BL

Sharon said...

Very nice layouts and a beautiful card. Bl

Denise Donald said...

Gorgeous layouts, beautiful card. So tragic and much too young! I always worry when anyone in my family is driving, no matter how old or young they are. So sad. BL

Bev Code said...

amazing projects with fab colours and accents.. BL