Friday, November 9, 2012

Great memories, not so great photos ....

I'm sure this has happened to all scrapbookers: You have wonderful memories of an event, a visit, a particular day ... but your photos are less than perfect. That's what happened with some photos from Disneyland.

Four-year-old Anna and Daddy spotted Goofy at Disneyland's Town Square and went to visit. While they were there, Pluto also showed up. The Photopass photographer caught some adorable photos, but the lighting (it was dusk) and colors (alas,  the characters' costumes and clothes clashed badly with Anna's Cinderella dress and pink sash) The result was some rather garish colors and lighting, but adorable pictures nonetheless. I was determined to scrap them. First I tried to fix the photos in Photoshop, even taking them to black and white, but that only created other unpleasant effects. Finally, I found my answer in the remains of my July Citrus Twist kit: a kraft background, with patterned papers in soft blues. I used just a few embellishments in muted yellow and orange. Here's the result:


The doily is hiding a stamping experiment gone horribly wrong. I loved the way the papers sort of toned down the photos' colors, and I was able to scrap Anna's encounter with Pluto. (She asked him to sign her autograph book. He did, then balanced it on his nose. She's taking the book off his nose in the top photo and he's giving her a sort of hug in the bottom one.) The photos of her and Goofy dancing are equally garish in color and lighting, but even more adorable; I'll be scrapping them soon also. After all, it's about the memories more than the technical quality of the photos.

I also turned to a July Citrus Twist kit for another Disney layout. This time, I used the July 4 bonus kit that I received for subbing to Citrus Twist. It had the cutest ticket stickers and some other cute embellishments. I added some star stickers that I bought for $1 at Walmart. This was my design for last week's Nuts About Sketches' sketch.


Anna was one of the first children to hop up there when Mickey invited his guests to dance with him at the Surf's Up character breakfast on our last morning in Disneyland. 

I actually made two Christmas cards this week! They're for display at our local scrapbook store, Scrap That Moment, using themed 3D stickers and patterned paper from Paper House Productions. I also used stamps from Our Daily Bread, Worldwin cardstock, Best Creation glittered paper, May Arts ribbon, and some Stickles and Liquid Pearls. I love the effect of the stickers!


The store where I work turned on its Christmas background music today. I guess it's time to get geared up for the holidays!

Thanks for looking. Have a fantastic week!


4 comments:

Carmen Pauls said...

Very pretty work, Barb. :) That "autograph hound" title is perfect! :)

Carmen.

Nathalie said...

I love that first page Barb! Your photos really don't look that bad at all and they totally pop off that neutral background! Perfect balancing with the embellies too. And it's crazy how that tree on your card looks real!
Have a great weekend!

Ange said...

You did fantastic with those photos! The layout looks great and I love that you admitted there was a stamping mishap under there. lol We would have never known. :)
Your NAS layout is fantastic! Love the addition of the tickets. Fabulous xmas cards!! Love the dimension.

Patricia said...

Great job working with not so perfect photos! I really like how you hid your stamp job with the doily too- it works for the page! Great colors on your second layout loving the tickets as well and those cards are FAB! Loving the dimension on them!