Wednesday, July 18, 2012

It's the CHRISTMAS IN JULY blog hop!

Welcome to the CHRISTMAS IN JULY blog hop, hosted by the Cookin' Up Creations Master Chef Challenge Team! If you have been following the hop, you should have arrived from Annie's blog. If not, please start at the Cookin' Up Creations blog so you won't miss any of the fantastic holiday projects and Christmas crafting inspiration the "chefs" have cooked up for you!

Today I'm excited to show you the little Christmas mini album that I just finished as a gift for my mom. Our four children and their families are scattered across four states, and with everyone's work and school schedules, it's not always possible to get together at the same time. We had a gathering one weekend with older daughter and her family; and another weekend with younger daughter and her family, as well as our younger son. Our older son and family, were unable to join us. I took photos of each person who attended either gathering, and made them wallet sized. Then I grabbed some We R Memory Keepers "Peppermint Twist" papers and chipboard embellishments, ribbons and other pretties left over from holiday crafts past, and decorated a cute house-shaped Maya Road chipboard album. Here's what I came up with:

This is what my book looks like closed:


Here's the back and the front covers:


And here are the inside pages:





I used a tacky glue, spread over the area of the board book where I wanted the paper to go, to attach the patterned paper. I made simple templates from scratch paper for the house body, roof and chimney. I sanded the edges a little bit after the glue dried and lightly rubbed Antique Linen distress ink over the board book edges. A little Stickles here and there added some shine. Mini albums like these are fun and easy to make because they usually can be made from the scraps and leftover embellishments from other projects. My mom loves little books of photos -- more so than larger framed ones, because they take up less space -- so hopefully she will like this one!

Because I like to "play Santa", I'm giving away a RAK including a package of flowers and an assortment of pretty ribbons. To be entered into the drawing, 1) leave a comment telling me which Christmas craft project you would like to get a jump-start on NOW; 2) become (or already are) a follower of my blog. I'll announce the winner next week.

Thank you for sharing a little "holiday cheer" with me! Your next stop is Cassy's blog to see what winter wonderland creations she has waiting for you! And be sure to join us on the Cookin' Up Creations forum this Friday through Sunday, July 20-22, for the CHRISTMAS IN JULY CROP! You will find more holiday inspiration, some challenges to get your Christmas crafting mojo started, and some games just for fun. See you there!




19 comments:

Sandy said...

That house mini book is super cute! I love it. I am already a follower. One project I want to get a jump start on is a new countdown to Christmas calendar type thing. Our old one is getting way worn down.

Theresa said...

yet another cute mini. and its a house. Great job!

scrappinsmiles said...

Barb your mother is going to LOVE it! The house is cute. Great job!

I am already a follower. :0)

Jeannine said...

I'm not posting because of the hop, I just wanted to say how adorable your mini album is and that your mom is going to love it!! Your work is so inspiring!! Great job, Barb!!

Beth said...

Love the house shape of your mini book. I think I could just make one of those with chipboard I can cut out. I will be linking my projects to the CUC site! Thanks for the great inspiration!

Annie - Cookin' Up Creations DT Member said...

Barb - super cute mini! I am going to work on Christmas Gift mini (explosion box style)for my neighbor.I am already a follower. Thanks for sharing it with us

Jan said...

Barb, your mom is going to love it!
One of the things that I would like to get a jump start on this year is cards. Every year I wait until the last minute to make them.

Rachel said...

Very cute! Your mom will really love this!

Life's Creative Adventures said...

She is going to love it Barb! I am hoping to start a mini album this weekend of my kids moving to texas.

Scrappyjo said...

Love the shape of your mini album...very cute!!!

I need to start on some mini albums for my sisters... this is great inspiration!

Lisa's Scrap Site said...

What a great keepsake,love it!

silvia said...

Great mini!! LOVE the house shape!!

I need to get my butt in gear and start on some altered canvases.

I am a new follower of your blog :)

Silvia
http://sillyscrap.blogspot.com

Cropaddict said...

I love the design of this album and that it would be simple to make the basic album. Thanks! Just signed up to follow your blog.

Cropaddict said...

Oh yeah, I just pulled some paper to start on Christmas ornaments. I make them to share with my co-workers and friends.

karen In Houston said...

I am a new follower of your blog and I love this mini book and would love to create some of these for gifts....
I also need a jumpstart on my christmas cards and hope to get some tags and decorations done on the crop....

Nathalie said...

I love this mini album and I am sure it will be cherished for years!

Sheng said...

I love the xmas house book, very cute. well, before we know it xmas will be here so i gotta get a jump start on making xmas cards cuz i never finish them in time :)

have also followed you

AlteredDiva said...

Such a cute little idea Barb! I love the shape! Thanks for sharing! I already follow your blog faithfully! ;)

Sandy Ang said...

Such a lovely house-shaped christmas mini !