Friday, June 29, 2012

An "extreme" layout ....

I like to "scrap girly". But sometimes, going grungy can be fun ...


My younger son and some co-workers took part in the Warrior Dash  in Chicago on June 16. Now, this is no ordinary 5K run -- it's an extreme event, with obstacles such as scaling a tower of cargo netting, crawling through mud and jumping over fire. Each participant is individually timed;  but you may compete with friends and help each other along the way. At the end, there are awards, a medal for each finisher, and beer, roasted turkey legs and music. 

When these photos appeared on my Jeff's Facebook wall (via "tagging" by a friend), my husband said right away, "You need to scrap those pictures". I snagged a few photos from Facebook and was pleased at the way they printed. There were the remains of some Scrap Within Reach papers in my stash, along with some forgotten rub ons and stickers. Here's my resulting layout:

The handsome young man on the far right (shirtless in the bottom photo) is my son. He is also the one jumping over fire in the middle photo. I used Nuts About Sketches' #219, turned on its side, for the layout design. The background paper already had some printed, gears, numbers and circles, but I misted and dripped walnut ink over it, stamped it, added rub ons and distressing. The silver letter stickers didn't show up well enough, so I used a bronze metallic paint pen to outline them. The gears were cut with a Tim Holtz Sizzix die, and the stars with a Spellbinders die set. I gesso-ed, painted and embossed just for fun.


Then, I realized on the smaller photo that I had actually blocked out my son's face. Not wanting to risk hurting the layout by taking everything up, I reprinted a part of the photo (larger, so my son would show up more) and added it to the top. I like the torn edges and the collage effect:


Last of all, I uploaded to Facebook and "tagged" him so the page would show up on his wall. Right away, my youngest daughter replied on his wall, "There needs to be a disclaimer that pops up when someone tags Jeff in a picture. We the undersigned hereby agree to get scrapped by Jeff's mom." The young lady who supplied the photos "liked" the layout right away, as did another friend. Hopefully Jeff won't be embarrassed that his mom not only scrapped the photos, but tagged him so they show on his wall.

So .... what are you scrapping this weekend? In stark contrast to the layout above, I have some beautiful new Prima "Fairy Belle Collection" that I will be working on for the local scrapbook store. It's soooooo pretty! Now to find some photos that will do it justice.

Thanks for stopping by -- have a great weekend!

5 comments:

Nathalie said...

The color combo and the elements you have used for the manly page are perfect!

Barbara said...

THIS! IS! AWESOME!!!! Love all the messy details - PERFECT!!

Laura B. said...

Very nice Barb!! I love how you found the photos on Facebook and then posted the layout back on FB! You are one cool mom!!!

Patricia said...

Great page Barb! Love the grungy look of it! It goes perfect with your photos!

Ange said...

I love your layout! Perfect with the gears, stars and grunge look. Great use of the sketch!!