Saturday, February 25, 2012

Scrapping inspiration!

Recently, Cookin' Up Creations challenge team member Patti posted a challenge to create a layout about someone who inspired us. Immediately, I thought of my paternal grandmother, Josephine Belle. I had been wanting to scrap the vintage "flip sides" of Graphic 45's Tropical Travelogue collection and prove that it's not just for photos of Maui and water. And last but certainly not least, I was itching to use Sketch #195 by Kristine Davidson of  Creative Scrappers.

Here is the result:


I created the frame by cutting out the four motifs in the middle, then distressing with great gusto and adhering it over the postal background. I worked on this during a 6 pm to midnight crop at Scrap That Moment, the local scrapbooking store; and with some encouragement from my companions, I threw away my usual caution when it comes to distressing, crumpling and layering papers.

The journaling is hidden behind one of the layers only because I couldn't think of where to place it. Hidden journaling isn't in my usual arsenal of techniques, but I do like how it turned out.


This posed formal portrait is the only photo I could find in my collection, but she was anything but formal. She liked to have a good time and loved to laugh. For titling, I went with the first phrase that popped into my head when I thought about Grandma: Live, Love, Laugh. Here's the journaling:


She survived diphtheria. She lost her husband and two of her four children. She never had a lot of money. But Grandma loved and enjoyed life to the fullest. She was the first one there when her neighbors needed help. She loved weddings, anniversaries and birthday parties, even funerals where she could visit with friends. She played washboard in a hillbilly band. She loved to laugh and never lost her sense of humor.

Grandma often joined us when we brought out the crayons and coloring books at her house. She sewed, knitted and crocheted. Although she has been gone nearly 20 years, I think she would have enjoyed seeing herself in my scrapbooks. She would have approved the gorgeous paper patterns, but maybe have chided me on messing them up with distressing, inking and tearing. And this woman LOVED her bling, so she would have been happy with the Stickles.

And on a side note .... I won a copy of Kristine Davidson's first ebook, Creating With Sketches!!!!  You can check it out and order your own here. I can see myself happily using this ebook for a long time to come. (Thanks to Juliann Marchant, who drew my name in the giveaway on her blog)

Thanks for looking -- have a great weekend! 

8 comments:

Rebecca In MI said...

Well you difinately proved it using those papers!

I think your gramma sounds like a wonderful person! I hope my grandkids have half as fond a memories!

Nathalie said...

Lovely page Barb! I love the layering and the tag in the pocket!

Patricia said...

What a great page! Good job using that pp- it would have been a hard one for me! Great layering!

Ange said...

Great page! Love the distressing.

Lori B said...

Oh, Barb! All those layouts are beautiful, but the one about your grandmother is PERFECTION!!! I love every technique you used, and the journaling is WONDERFUL!!!

mgpm said...

What lovely layers!! I adore the layers you use, and I love all that distressing! And what a beautiful lady you wrote about there. I love hearing about people's lives. Thanks for sharing her with us. :)

Rachel W. - Burlap & Buttercups said...

Such a beautiful and special layout, Barb ~ wonderful way to honor your grandmother's remarkable legacy!

Lisa H said...

Love those papers! I think they're perfect. What a wonderful layout of your grandma and it's good to record that history.