Friday, January 20, 2012

Scrapping on a snowy evening

After a very warm. mild December and first part of January, we've finally been hit in the last week with some freezing temperatures and a few inches of snow. My scrap room is warm and cozy -- a great place to spend a snowy evening!

After more than 6 years, I'm still working on my Hong Kong trip album! I chose 7Gypsies' Gypsy Market collection three years ago for the album, and even though there are tons of exciting lines out there, I still love the way this collection goes with my photos. My after school program kids and I are enjoying some activities centered upon the upcoming Chinese New Year, so I took my album and photos to work to show the kids. I expected oohs and aahs over the colorful photos from Wan Chai, the flowers and colorful wares from Stanley Market, the Folk Culture Village in Shenzhen, China and the historical pageant we saw there. Instead, what did I hear? "Look, there's a picture of Miss Barb. Wow, you really look different!" Didn't you see the beautiful costumes? "Yeah. Wow Miss Barb, you didn't have gray hair then!" Kids -- gotta love 'em!

Anyway ..... since I still have photos waiting to be scrapped, and the theme of this month's Blue Plate Special challenges at Cookin' Up Creations is to use our stash, I paired a few photos with the 7Gypsies paper for a Scraplift a Member challenge. Here's what I came up with:


This page addressed the friendliness of the people my co-worker and I met during our week in Hong Kong and Shenzhen.

The owner of the local scrapbooking store, Scrap That Moment, asked me to work with Studio Calico's "Classic Calico" line of papers and die cut stickers, along with Mr. Huey's mists and masks. I chose the spray mist in "Cameo" with coordinating Worldwin cardstock for this one:

The photo is from younger daughter' wedding in April 2010. This layout proved to be a real bugger to photograph; no matter what I did, the details just didn't show to their best advantage. Here's a better look at some of the components:


After using the butterfly masks with the Cameo mist for the background, I traced the butterflies onto some of the patterned paper and cut them out, then wrapped May Arts twine around them. 


The dress form is a Clear Scraps shape, stamped first with a script stamp and Staz-On ink, then backed with patterned paper. I made the flower by cutting patterned paper and tissue paper with a Sizzix floral die, some of which were sprayed with mist and/or inked. The curls are small strips of paper.

I went with gold colored cardstock for this one, using Sketch 189 from Creative Scrappers:


The birds and cage also are Clear Scraps shapes. I painted the cage with gold acrylic paint, then again with gold glitter paint. The birds were stamped first and then backed with cardstock. I embossed cardstock with a Cuttlebug folder and inked, then placed behind the photo. I made the big flower; the orange ones were white flowers that I stamped and then sprayed with the Cameo mist. The pearls are a strand of trim from Joann's dollar bins. This is older daughter and her husband in 2001.

This was reveal week at My Sketch World, and this is my card created from the January card sketch. Again, I found it very difficult to scan or photograph this one to its best advantage:


Our snow from last weekend was washed away by rain early in the week, only to be replaced with today's snow fall and some bitter cold temperatures. Thinking that a cup of steaming cocoa with marshmallows would be good right about now ....

Have a great weekend!


3 comments:

Nathalie said...

Mmmh, I'd love a cup of that hot cocoa with marshmallows right now!!! Your creations are wonderful as always! I love the butterflies on the second page!

angie gutshall said...

Love you layouts!! Those 2 in the middle are so Pretty!!

Ange said...

Great lo's and card! I absolutely adore A Kiss for Luck! Gorgeous!!