Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's finally done!

I've spent the past two weeks working on a vintage themed board book, and it's FINALLY done!

Before my late mother in law's memory was overtaken by Alzheimer's disease, she put together a binder of old family photos for each of her sons, along with short notations of who was in the photos and when the pictures were taken. I paired a Georgian board album from Kaisercraft with Crate Paper's Portrait Collection, along with a few odds and ends from my stash. I traced and cut the papers to fit the boards, adhered and then sanded the paper. I stained all of the wooden book edges with Ranger Walnut Stain distress ink, then sponged Antique Linen on the along the edges of the papers.

Here's the completed book, from cover to cover:

As I mentioned in my post last week, the top photo shows my mother in law's paternal grandparents on vacation; the bottom photo, her maternal grandparents.

I love the bridesmaids's hats in this photo from my mother in law's parents' wedding in 1916. The bride looked a little less than amused; my guess is that this was still in the day when flash photos required the subjects to remain still, it was after a long day, and she was tired of yet another photo.


The photos show her parents during their courting days in 1915, as a stylish young couple; and at my mother in law's wedding in 1948. They look like the prosperous business owners that they were (he was the third generation  to own and operate the family brewery in LaSalle, IL)


The left photo shows my mother in law on her wedding day, along with her sister Jean; and the other photo includes Jean and their brother Jack. My mother in law was one of nine children; Jean and Jack served as the maid of honor and best man.


 My husband and I already had decided that my mother in law's surviving sister, Nancy, should be the recipient of this board. Since I thought of it as "Aunt Nancy's book" by the time I reached this point, I included two photos that I found of Aunt Nancy as a young woman.


And this is the final photo. It was taken at a family reunion in perhaps the late 1970's and includes the seven siblings who were still alive at the time. My mother in law is that short lady right in the middle.


I didn't put photos on the back cover, since most likely it will be lying on a table; but I did "sign" it. 


My husband was very happy with the way the book turned out (so was I!)  It was on display at the local scrapbook store for a few days. The book will be on its way soon to Aunt Nancy in Michigan, along with some copies of photos of my late mother in law. I hope she enjoys looking at the book as much as I enjoyed creating it! 

Thanks for stopping by -- have a great Labor Day weekend!

8 comments:

lisaplus6 said...

that is beautiful!!!! those photos just blow me away!

Nathalie said...

Barb, this is one fantastic project that will be cherished for generations to come!!!!

angie gutshall said...

This is gorgeous!!! I love every bit of it!!

Julia said...

Barb your mini album is beautiful. I love it all and those photos are wonderful!!

Jeannine said...

Barb, what an absolute treasure!! The fact that your MIL gathered the photos in a binder for each of her sons and added notations in itself is priceless but now that you have the photos in this beautiful binder, it's such a treasure! It must feel great to know you put together such a keepsake. The time invested was worth it when you know how much your family will value this, isn't it? Great work, Barb. Absolutely beautiful.

Ange said...

Wow that is wonderful! What an awesome gift!!

Moon Scraps! said...

What a beautiful job you did Barb! I loved looking at the amazing pictures! Absolutely stunning work!

Rachel W. - Burlap & Buttercups said...

You did an amazing job on this, Barb!! What a wonderful keepsake ~ I'm sure your Aunt Nancy will treasure it. =)