Thursday, July 21, 2011

I love visiting .....

... but it's also great to be home!

I spent a wonderful four-day weekend with my oldest daughter and her family in Minnesota, accompanied by my youngest granddaughter (who belongs to my youngest daughter and lives in Wisconsin). We visited the Minnesota Zoo , where we saw the penguins and the dolphin show; enjoyed street music and bought fresh local veggies at the farmers market; went swimming; walked to the park and Dairy Queen. We also met Izzy, the new "grand dog" -- an adorable teddy bear (bichon-shitzu mix).  I took scrapping supplies but never really got around to scrapping, but I did take quite a few photos that will be showing up on layouts soon.

Since my oldest daughter has two boys, she enjoys the occasional "girly fix" with her niece. They had fun splashing each other in the kiddie pool:


This layout was the example on my Blue Plate Special challenge today on Cookin' Up Creations. I used this week's sketch from Sketch Inspiration for the layout design; and a paper technique by Kate Vickers as shown on the Inspired to Scrap forum. The title came from Christa's challenge to use a "summer song" title on the forum at My Sketch World.

The sketch and the inspiration for this layout came from Master Chef Sandy Liles at Cookin' Up Creations.  My youngest two grandkids enjoyed a spirited game of their own design; both of them "won", which is always a good thing! For Scrapfit's Workout #48, I "put a bird on it" -- a sticker on a button -- and a quote that I love -- "Play is the work of children" by Bob Keeshan. For those of you over a certain age, you may remember him as the beloved "Captain Kangaroo".



Scraplift a Member at Cookin' Up Creations
I am so excited to show you this layout -- finally! The Master Chef Challenge Team at Cookin' Up Creations chose a layout by member Rebecca in MI to scraplift. We do this periodically and since it's a surprise to the original artist, we keep our creations under wraps until the big reveal.

You can see Rebecca's original layout, "Laugh", here. We all loved her use of white space, her placement of her elements so they all stood alone but yet were cohesive and worked so perfectly together; and her great photo. Here's my version, featuring LYB's Twig collection and a photo of my youngest grandson, Cameron, that his mom took on their recent vacation to Colorado:


Some of the elements came with the Twig line, but I made several embellishments for this. The clouds were cut with a Spellbinders die (exclusive design for Scrap Mart) and the zig zag, with a Sizzix die. I freehand cut the cirles for the lollipop flower and the triangles for the banner. The tree was cut with the Cricut Lite  "Bloom" cartridge, but I cut the leaves freehand. I turned the photo placement and filled up a bit more of my white space, but I tried to keep my elements as "separate yet together" as Rebecca did with hers.

Thanks for the inspiration, Beck!

12 comments:

Jeannine said...

What sweet pages, Barb! I just love all three of them. I like how you use such a small amount of patterned papers. That's something I've been trying to do too, just to be different from what I typically do.

I like how you used the ticket to write the date. I'll have to remember that one. I'm always looking for new ways to do things. I also just love how you have everything arranged on the page. There's white space but my eye isn't drawn to it, it's drawn to the photos.

I just love the title of the third one! lol It's so cute!! I really like how you arranged everything on this one too. Again, not a lot of patterned paper, you have some white space, but the focus is the photo. Love it!

Rebecca In MI said...

I do feel honored that my layout was chosen to lift! And oh my yes! I was certainly surprised! And your thinkin' layout is a very nice compliement to it! Thanks Barb for the nice words!

Moon Scraps! said...

Beautiful layouts! I love how you scrap everyday moments!

Sara Zenger said...

Your layouts are beautiful! Thank you for working out with us at ScrapFIT!

Nathalie said...

Awesome pages Barb! I really like the design of the "Play" one and the details on the"Thinkin" one! Great work!

MARILYN said...

Beautiful pages!!! .Thanks for playing with us at ScrapFIT!

MARILYN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa H said...

Great layouts Barb! I love that photo in "Thinkin'" =) and how cool it was Beck'l LO that was chosen to scraplift! Yeah Beck!!

Lisa H said...

…and I do remember Captain Kangeroo! I liked to watch it growing up. =)

Candace H said...

Oh, Barb, these layouts are all wonderful!

The Gov. said...

Wonderful layouts!

angie gutshall said...

You have done an amazing job!! Love all the details and designs!