Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy NSD weekend -- and Mother's Day too!

There are some great crops, contests and sales going on this weekend in honor of National Scrapbooking Day. What are you doing to celebrate?

We're hosting a weekend-long crop at Cookin' Up Creations. You will find all the info here.  We have at least four new challenges and two games planned for each of the three days; and the deadline for completing and uploading your challenge creations isn't until midnight Monday night, May 9. (We also hosted a blog hop earlier in the week; you can still hop for a chance in our prize drawing; just scroll down to the post below for more info)

My Sketch World is kicking off its week-long crop today with card and layout challenges -- and a week to complete them! And if that isn't enough to keep me busy, I will be checking out  challenges at some of  my other favorite sites, too.

And then there's Mother's Day on Sunday.  My mom, my youngest daughter and her family will all be at our house for Sunday dinner. Not sure what I'll serve for the main course, but I already know dessert will be Strawberry SHORTCUT Cake from the Neeleys of the Food Network. It's one of my favorite dessert recipes. You can find the recipe here.

Last week was another crafty, scrappy week, starting off with the Cookin' Up Creations design team's weekly reveal on Monday. This month, our sponsor is Diecuts With A View, who provided each of us on the design team with a different collection. I hit the jackpot with "Colorful Life" -- it is full of big, bold graphics, eye popping colors and a hint of glitter. Fellow design team member Jenny Rickard offered a challenge in April to do a collage, and I was hooked. So for my reveal, I chose big graphics from two "Colorful Life" patterned papers. I had the messiest, happiest time building a background on my canvas with torn papers, stamped music, acrylic paint slapped on with a foam brush and glittered paint sponged through a piece of mesh. The result was "Song Bird":

This is a close up of the bird image:


Collaging is just too much fun -- I highly recommend it!

I've also done some more traditional layouts and cards, too. All have been created as examples for challenges I've offered, and/or answers to challenges by others.

This was created for the Cookin' Up Creations blog hop earlier in the week. The button tree idea came from a layout in the June Scrapbooks ETC:




A little close up of the tree:


This one is based on a Nuts About Sketches design and was created for a Cookin' Up Creations challenge to use cupcakes as an inspiration in some way. Look what Cam and his mom made!


Another Nuts About Sketches sketch design; this one was for a challenge to stamp or ink on a background. I sponged paint through a piece of mesh.


And the challenge for this one was to do a layout about rain in some way. These water features reminded me of a rain downpour.

The new Tim Holtz "Sewing Room" die that I ordered a while back came in -- and I love it! Here is one of my cards using it (the scanner didn't like the lumpiness and blurred it a bit) I stamped on the dress form and colored it with pencils and ink. The die includes the dress form, spool and button


And this one was created just last night for my challenge that I posted tonight for the crop at Cookin' Up Creations. The challenge is to use a handmade flower; I did an easy but cute posey out of three circles:


Thanks for stopping by; Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Nathalie said...

Wonderful work Barb!!! I had no idea you knew how to do collages on canvas too!!! I love the textures and colors of it! Really a fun post full of inspiration!
I am planning in spending my NSD cleaning up my scrap space!
Happy Mother's Day to you!

angie gutshall said...

Can I just say WOW! Your work is awesome Barb! Love all the detail and designs!

BabyBokChoy said...

Your work is so inspiring and you are so prolific ! I hope you had a great mother's day!

just jennifer said...

wow, so busy! I love that tree on the bubble layout - great design!