Friday, May 20, 2011

A "challenging" weekend is ahead ....

I love scrapping challenges!!!! And lucky me, this weekend there are two great crops going on.

Inspired 2 Scrap  has a great crop going on now until Sunday, with lots of fun challenges, games and prizes. You will also find a great design team and friendly people! Go here for the "Walking on Sunshine" Crop.

I already created three layouts for this one, two with photos that I took last week at the adoption hearing. (Some of them also fit challenges on Cookin' Up Creations and My Sketch World; love it when that happens!)

This one was for a "seven layer" recipe challenge: cardstock, patterned paper, photo(s), title, journaling, flower(s) and ribbon or twine.  I used the May kit from the Scrapping Spot, featuring Bella Blvd Family Dynamix line:

The other was a challenge to use NO cardstock and to use the posted sketch. OK, no cardstock? This was truly a challenge. I used the May Sweet Peach kit featuring Crate Paper Emma's Shoppe, along with a Basic Grey distressed patterned sheet and a little Echo Park. I have to tell you, this is my new favorite page:


 What are mambo shoes? They are shiny, shiny shoes that make a great tapping noise when you run around singing  mambo, mambo, MAM-BO!"  while you stomp and "shake, shake, shake". Everyone needs a pair!

I used photos taken by my oldest daughter for this one. The challenge was to frame a page. I used the March kit from The Scrapping Spot featuring MYLB's Twig line. Don't you just love those colors? 


This is one of the rare layouts that I created just for me, not for any challenge, no design team reveal, etc. I used a sketch from the latest Creating Keepsakes magazine and a Sweet Peach kit from last fall. At first I was trying to make an ornate, "fancy" layout and it just wasn't working. I pared down the papers and embellishments -- much better! Now the photos are the stars and not my fancy scrapwork. 


There were TWO design team reveals last week. The first was Monday on Cookin' Up Creations. I have been working this month with DCWV's "Colorful Life" paper and used one of the designs with big, bold graphics for this layout:



I used a craft knife to cut around the pink butterfly so I could slip the photo underneath. Otherwise, I trimmed and distressed the edges, mounted on black cardstock,; added gesso with a dry brush to my photo edges, matted and added a quote; sanded the chipboard letters and called it done. This paper has some great touches of glitter that I don't know if you can see here.

Note: We offer a different Blue Plate Special challenge each day at Cookin' Up Creations; and if you complete 12 of the monthly challenges by the end of the month, we will enter your name into a drawing for the prize. This month we are giving away the May kit from Scraptacular. Check it out on the CUC forum! 

I'm on the card design team at My Sketch World; my part of the team reveals on the 15th of each month. Here's my card using this sketch:




I was so excited because one of my cards from last week was chosen as one of two projects of the week at My Sketch World. The forum is loaded -- and I mean LOADED -- with fantastic scrappers, so this it was a true honor to be singled out for this card:


I'm looking forward to maybe a trip to an area Botanical Garden with my mom this weekend, and of course scrapping. How about you? Hope you do something fun -- have a great weekend! 

9 comments:

LisaM said...

Awesome work as usual Barb!

It's great to see you at My Scraps and More, thanks for joining us!

Rebecca In MI said...

I am just in awe of your work! When I come to your blog, I know it's going to be good eye candy and I'm going to just say, "oh my goodness!"

Moon Scraps! said...

Awesome job Barb! "You belong to Me" had me in tears here. Beautiful work!

Nathalie said...

WOW, wow, and wow!!!! Not only have you been busy but you have been very inspired!!!! Your pages are fantastic Barb and the Mambo shoes one is my favorite too!!!

Ange said...

Great lo's and cards! Especially love the Mambo shoes, Ipod and Love lo's.

angie gutshall said...

Wow You have been busy! I love all of those gorgeous layouts! I love seeing your work!

just jennifer said...

love, love, love your DPS! I'm always amazed at how much you get accomplished!

Jeannine said...

Your pages are beautiful, as always. I especially like the Mambo Shoes page. That's so cute!

My word, girl, how many crops were you doing this weekend? lol It looks like there were at least two and then the DT stuff on top of that? How do you do it?! I'm amazed. Seriously. Amazed. YOU ROCK!!

Lisa H said...

holy smokes Barb, where do I start? There are so many wonderful projects in this post!! I love them all, especially the Mambo shoes. That cracks me up. =)