Saturday, February 26, 2011

Sketch A Thon and Challenges!

There has been no lack of inspiration or motivation this week, between the Sketch A Thon at My Sketch World and the ongoing Blue Plate Specials at Cookin' Up Creations. The Cookin' Up Creations Design Team has done an outstanding job this month, presenting some interesting and fun challenges. Taking inspiration from an article in the current issue of Paper Crafts magazine about the popularity of hot air balloon motifs, I created these cards for a "What's New Wednesday" challenge:

For this one, I used a map from the back of an old dictionary (picked it up for $1 at Goodwill) and combined it with Jillibean Soup patterned papers and hot air balloons cut from Webster's Pages.


The balloon on this one is from the Cricut "Summer in Paris" Solutions cartridge. The papers are Scrap Within Reach's "Industrial Park" collection.


Meanwhile at My Sketch World, all the sketches for the Sketch A Thon have been posted (20 of them in total!). The fun continues, though -- the deadline for uploading your creations is midnight (PST) Thursday, March 3. There's still time to get in on the fun and the prize drawings! Since I need several birthday cards in the next couple of months, I concentrated this week on the card sketches.

For this one, I used the frame and dictionary flower that I created last week (and showed in an earlier post) along with DCWV's Garden Party and Creative Imaginations papers, for a birthday card. My oldest granddaughter will be 13(!) in a couple of weeks, and I thought that deserved a grown-up card.


I colored the bling with alcohol ink; tea dyed the tulle; and sprayed the tulle and babies' breath with a little homemade gold shimmer spray.

I used another card sketch to make some mini cards that went into RAK packages. These were made with some of the last scraps of MME's "Bloom and Grow" line.


Unfortunately, I needed to send a sympathy card to a friend on the passing of her mother. I used another sketch for this one, created with Colorbok papers. The die is by Spellbinders, and the flowers are a Pink Paislee rub on:


And because I love the Webster's Pages hot air balloon motifs, I used them on another birthday card, again with a piece of a map. The papers this time are Fancy Pants' "About a Boy". The clouds are a Spellbinders die, exclusive to The Scrap Mart, my favorite place to buy dies online:


Today I'm working on a layout for Monday's reveal at Cookin' Up Creations. I spent way too much time pushing papers and photos around well into the night yesterday, so today it's time to just "get 'er done". Then I can get back to the fun sketches and challenges. What's on your scrapping agenda for this weekend?

Thank you, My Sketch World and Lucy!
My term as a "Layout Designer Diva" at My Sketch World officially has come to an end. Thank you to Lucy Chesna for 1) creating her fabulous sketches and sharing them with the rest of us and  2) for choosing me to be a part of her team for the past six months. It has been a truly great experience. I'll miss being a part of the design team, but the fun doesn't end there! I'll still be jumping into the challenges, games and chatter. :)

Have a great weekend, and thank you for stopping by!

4 comments:

Nathalie said...

Can I say WOW, WOW, WOW!!! :D Your cards are all fabulous Barb!!! I LOVE the idea of the balloons on top of the old maps (gotta look into getting some for myself!) and your mini cards for RAK are a great idea!!! You totally rocked it at My Sketch World, I am sure that they will miss you!

Julie said...

wow fabulous cards barb!!!

Leah Crowe said...

oh my, all your cards are super splendiforously gorgeous Barb!!! I adore them all, especially the hot air balloons. MSW has been lucky to have you!

WriterGirl said...

Wowza!! Awesome Barb!! Love your projects!