Friday, November 12, 2010

These are just TOO much fun!

I found this tutorial on making burlap sugered flowers earlier this week, and  I haven't been the same since! These are just too much fun to make , and now I have glitter in my hair and seed beads all over my craft room. I did make a couple of adjustments to Lorinda's directions in the video: Instead of Mod Podging the back, I ran a piece of cardstock through my Xyron 500 and stuck it to the back of the burlap to stabilize it, then cut it with a Tim Holtz Tattered Flower die by Sizzix and my Wizard. After that I colored the burlap and then added rhinestones, beads and glitter.

Here are a few of my creations:

I used light natural colored burlap for all the flowers. I used a variety of different media to color the different burlap flowers.  Then on each one,  I added  center rhinestones using Alene's Tacky Glue (it's clear and it's cheap), more glue and a ring of seed beads. I used a toothpick to add glue on the edges of the petals and dotted on the petals, then shook glitter from the kiddie crafts section at JoAnn's over each flower -- some lightly and some more heavily.

Stamped with a script stamp and sepia ink, then rubbed with a pink cat's eye ink pad. I think I spritzed it with Krylon spray glitter too:



Glimmer Mist from Tattered Angels and a little less glitter. 


Fired Brick distress ink and lots and LOTS of Martha Stewart chunky iridescent glitter:

Spritzed with a homemade spray mist (made by combining water, blue food coloring and some pearlized pigment powder in a spray bottle), centered with a Prima flower center and a dusting of fairy dust glitter:


The green flower on the tag below was painted with FolkArt Extreme Glitter acrylic paint in Peridot. The tag is just some scraps, a stamp and some ink:



What am I going to do with the rest of these? I have no idea! but I'd better figure out something because I've made quite a few and probably will make more. 

Have a great weekend! 

7 comments:

Julie said...

very pretty barb!!

Nathalie said...

These are indeed very fun and your tag looks gorgeous with it! I think you should open an Etsy shop with them!

Barbara said...

Love them!! Your tag is gorgeous!!

BabyBokChoy said...

That is one AMAZING TAG!!!!!!!! And now I wish I can make these flowers!!

Celeste B. said...

I love these flowers. I might need to try making some.

Janine Rachau said...

That is an adorable tag! That does look like fun! We need more hours in a day so I can add them to my "to do" lists! :)

just jennifer said...

so pretty! I'm sure you will find something perfect for the rest of them!