Friday, October 8, 2010

Notes from the road ...

This week I'm in Minnesota with my oldest daughter and her family. The week started with me driving up to Wisconsin Monday to return my granddaughter, Anna, to her parents (my youngest daughter and her husband; and then on to Minnesota Tuesday. My 9 year old grandson, Ethan, had his tonsils and adenoids out Wednesday (and is recovering. It's fun to have some time together (yes, we are scrapping!) and to be able to do the grandma thing with the boys. They have always lived two states away, so time with them is precious because I don't get to see them as often as I would like.

Monday, as always, was reveal day. Sketch 129 is up at Nuts About Sketches. I followed the sketch literally this week, except for moving the journaling. Here's my take:


The small photo sizes in the sketch allowed me to use some shots that, technically, were not good. I was still shooting with a little Kodak EasyShare and this event posed some real photographic challenges. The photos are from a magnificent outdoor pageant at a cultural theme park in Shenzhen, China, in 2005. "Dancing With the Dragon and the Phoenix"  portrayed the history of China through music, drama, dance and song. There were pyrotechnics and fireworks, almost magical staging (the Phoenix, that gorgeous woman in the right hand photo, came up out of the floor with those lights and smoke to look like water) .... oh, loads of people, horses, and I think a few other animals. My co-worker and I  had been sent to a trade show in Hong Kong and took an organized side trip into Shenzhen on our free day. The co-worker is not a woman who is easily impressed; but when this show was over, she turned to me and all she could say was "Wow ...."

October is my first "reveal" month at Cookin' Up Creations scrapbooking community, and I'm so excited to show you my first project. Our sponsors this month are the Unity Stamp Company, Whisker Graphics and Punky Sprouts. This week, my assignment was to create a layout.  I worked with Whisker Graphics' Divine Twine baker's twine and Unity's "Berry Good Life" stamp set. Here's my layout:

The subject is my granddaughter Shelbie, a fabulous strawberry blonde. The basket in my stamp set made a perfect illustration for my journaling. I so loved the stamps! The red rubber stamps cling like magic to my acrylic block, and they give wonderfully fine, crisp images. I used a couple of the luscious twine colors to accent my basket, tied onto alphas, and to fill the buttons.  (Note: this photo was taken in 2004; Shelbie is now a sassy 9 year old who would want me to be sure to tell you that she's "all grown up now".)

I created this layout in answer to my own "Addams Family Challenge" at My Sketch World.


The photos are from my oldest daughter's junior prom in 1995.  She was into a funky gothic sort of phase then, and died her gorgeous red hair a purple/black (thank God it was only temporary dye!) to match her dress. Her date was tall with (what I thought at the time were) sort of spooky eyes; and he was definitely a bit on the kooky side, as evidenced by his horsing around with my youngest daughter in the right hand photo. This was their first date; little did I know that night that exactly six years later -- to the DAY -- he would become my son in law! He can still be a bit kooky but I love him!

The photos in the layout above were taken with a little Instamatic camera, and the prints have not fared well over the years. I scanned and photoshopped as best as I could. Even though they are less than perfect, I scrapped them anyway. In the end, it's all about the memories, not the perfection -- or lack thereof -- of my photography.

Thanks for stopping by -- have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Julie said...

fabulous pages barb! love what you did with the nuts sketch!

Janine Rachau said...

I love all of your pages! Your DPS is super. "A strawberry girl" is adorable, and I'm especially lovin' all the little bows! But, reading your Addams Family challenge layout had me lol. I did not expect to read at the end that he became your son-in-law! :) Your pictures are too perfect for your challenge. I changed my challenge of "The Addams Family", as we changed our schedule on what lines we will be featuring this week. I'll be using The Brady Bunch, instead. :)

ruth said...

Wow, what fantastic memories! Is that our Heather that had the goth phase? Wow, who knew? :)

Gorgeous layouts! They are all very pretty, but that last one is simply stunning. Beautiful!

WriterGirl said...

Love, love, LOVE the strawberry girl!!! So adorable and I love all the patterned paper!

BabyBokChoy said...

Barb, that 2-pager is ready for CK, I hope you submit it! And that girl and the grid you did with the PP are all too cute!!

just jennifer said...

what fun layouts!!!

Yara said...

Wow Barb! You had been busy! Love all the layouts, especially the 2 pager. Also love the 1-page layout with your granddaughter, love all the patterned paper squares. A great combination!

angie gutshall said...

I love your work! That 2 pager looks so awesome! And I love the patchwork design!