Friday, September 10, 2010

My mama the bird woman!

Today marks the beginning of the three-day Homestead Festival here in town.It's a weekend of good old-fashioned family fun. I'm a bit disappointed that none of the kids or grandkids will be here, but my mom and I are looking forward to Saturday's parade.

Speaking of my mom .... Last Sunday was absolutely gorgeous here in central Illinois, so the two of us decided to visit Niabi Zoo. It's about an hour's drive from her house and is a wonderful little zoo. We arrived about 10 am and started the rounds of the various animal exhibits. The best story of the day happened at Lorikeet Landing ...

The lorikeets live in a free-flight aviary. At the entrance, the zoo employee asked, "Would you like to buy a cup of nectar to feed the birds?" Now, I have to admit that birds freak me out a little bit and it's all I can do to walk through the aviary; no way do I want to do anything that causes the birds to get up close and personal. But my mom, bless her heart, loves to feed the animals. She says "Okay!" and pulls out her dollar bill. In we went, Mom holding her little cup in one hand and her purse in the other. We were among the first visitors, so the birds weren't full of nectar yet .... and they wanted the stuff Mom was holding. First one bird landed on her arm, then two .... one on her shoulder ... until eight of them were sitting on my mama and diving for the nectar. She looked a little nervous, but when the zoo assistant asked if she wanted her to take the cup, Mom said no, she was okay ... and held onto it until it was empty. Gotta hand it to her, for almost 80 she is one brave cookie! The only thing she said when we came out, "I was afraid one of them would poop on my head!"

And yes ... I got photos .... and yes ... I scrapped them ....


The sketch is by Heather Landry from the Scraptastic kit club design team. Papers are Pink Plum from Crate Paper.

For me, the highlight of the day was seeing the baby zebu, who was born just seven hours before our arrival. Her little legs were a bit shaky as she toddled along with her mama. She got tired and lay down to rest, while the cow  licked licked the baby to stimulate circulation and to let her know her mama was near. Too sweet!


The design is inspired by sketch #100 at Sketch Inspiration.

And my favorite animals have to be the giraffes. Right now, Niabi Zoo is home to a male, two females and their babies -- a male born in December and a female in April. I love their spots, their long necks and knobby knees, and their faces. They are odd and beautiful!


Thanks for stopping by -- have a great weekend!

5 comments:

lisaplus5 said...

awww! i love that first lo! how special and FUNNY! i love that giraffe, too!

BabyBokChoy said...

That giraffe makes me LAUGH, that is one heck of a great photo!!! Love the circles in your layouts, great stuff!!!

Julie said...

wonderful pages barb!! i love giraffes!!! great pic!

Julie said...

wonderful pages barb!! i love giraffes!!! great pic!

WriterGirl said...

Great layout and I love the giraffe!! Too cute!