Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sneaky Peeky!

My first Design Team "reveal" for My Sketch World is this coming Wednesday, Sept. 1! My layout is completed and turned in, waiting for the official post. Here's a little sneak peek:


Be sure to check out the new sketch September 1 at the My Sketch World blog!

Favorite Recent Layouts

There were many special moments during my younger daughter's wedding and reception; but one of my favorites was her father-daughter dance. Kristen's song choice was unique, and knew this one was going to need a little explanation ... so before the DJ cued up the song, she took the microphone to tell the wedding guests how the song came to be special to her.

The story starts when my husband was a boy. He and his brother Tom, who is a year younger, received a record player as a joint Christmas gift. Tom chose their first record album, and the brothers played it until they knew one particular song by heart.

"When I was a little girl, my dad sang this song to me every night at bedtime because it was the only song he knew all the words to," she said. Then she and her dad took their place on the dance floor, and the DJ cued the music. The guests gave surprised chuckles when they heard "Trailers for sale or rent...." as Roger Miller sang his best known song, "King of the Road". Soon they were clapping their hands along to the music; and the best part was when the guests joined in on the last stanza, "I'm a man of means by no means, King of the Road!"

Kristen has been saying since she was 11 years old that this was going to be her daddy-daughter wedding dance "because it's our song." And so it is! And here's my layout commemorating this memory:


(A little side note: Uncle Tom still had the album! and he gave it to Kristen and her husband, Ian as a little memento) The design started with a sketch from Sketch Inspirations. Those fantastic photos are the work of Tiffany Doubek.

I created this layout for my design team submission at My Sketch World, but I couldn't show it until after the DT call was over.  The layout was based on a sketch by Lucy, owner of My Sketch World, with photos from the afternoon when granddaughter Anna and I played in the puddles after a summer rain.






I wanted to show her constant motion as she jumped and splashed through the puddles. It was such a fun afternoon, and I'm happy I could share it with her. 

Thanks for stopping by; have a great weekend! 

8 comments:

Candace H said...

Oh, Barb, what an amazing layout and story behind it from your daughter's wedding! ♥ it! You are doing some terrific creations!

BabyBokChoy said...

Your 2-pager is seriously amazing!!! really cute.

Rebecca In MI said...

I love everything you do, but the King of the Road really pulls at my heart....I love everything about it! And how wonderful that she has the album that started the whole thing!

Barbara said...

LOVE the wedding layout!!
CONGRATS on the DT and can't wait to see your reveal in a few days. :)

Lori Gentile said...

Congrats on the dt! Your sneak looks gorgeous. I love embellishment clusters. I adore your two pager! Wow!

twinkles11 said...

congrats on your DT gig... love your sneaks too. I love King of the Road that is so nice!

ruth said...

Gorgeous wedding layout! I love the story behind it too........so very special! :)

angie gutshall said...

Congrats Barb! I just love the design and all those pictures on that 2 page layout! I also like those sneaks!