Friday, July 2, 2010

Almost the Fourth of July ....

When I was a kid, school ended right around Memorial Day and started again just after Labor Day. The Fourth of July sort of marked the middle of the summer, even though technically summer had just begun. Now that my own kids are grown up, we don't go to the fireworks most years; but this year we're going to a party along the Illinois River -- my husband's cousin has fixed up the former office building of the brewery that their family operated for four generations, and he lives there now -- so we will see the fireworks over the water. Looking forward to that!

Do you love zoos as much as I do? My mom and I spent a couple of days in Kenosha with my youngest daughter's family. While we were there, we visited the "Pride of Racine" -- two 3-month-old Transvaal lion cubs at the Racine Zoo. Talk about adorable!





This layout features my very own jungle cat, Ed -- or "fast Eddie". He is an indoor kitty, but he does love sitting outside. His favorite place is in the grass and foliage under the neighbor's hedges, which is where I found him when I took this photo. The inspiration for this layout was the Summer Lovin' Crop blinkie at Simply Obsessed:


I finally completed a layout done using one of my favorite photos from among those I took of little Anna playing in the puddles. Couldn't wait to dive into this October Afternoon "Fly a Kite" paper -- so cute! The inspiration for the design was a sketch from Pencillines, via The Everyday Scrapper site.


And this was an "experiment". I followed a tutorial that was linked on The Everyday Scrapper to use stamping and ink on a layout. The green paper is stamped with various medallion and snowflake stamps; then the inside background was inked, stamped, distressed. I think I got a bit carried away with the inking and stamping. So totally out of my style but it's growing on me!


I'm heading up to my older daughter's in Minnesota right after the Fourth of July. I'll be there for a week; planning to pack a couple of kits and some photos so I can scrap there. Have a great holiday weekend!

9 comments:

Heather said...

That picture of Eddie reminds me of the book Furley Cat!
Great LOs! And love the tiger cubs.

Janine Rachau said...

Your experiment is pretty cool,...I love those medallions. The buttons on the OA are perfect, and your cat layout is stunning. I love how you incorporated the different fonts in your journaling. Cute little cubbies,...

:) Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the fireworks!

angie gutshall said...

All your layouts our great but that Splash layout just jumps off the page!! Great JOb!

BabyBokChoy said...

Your projects are really good. Your 2-pager is brilliant, it's all the rage right now! You seriously need to consider submitting them!

Julie said...

love the 2 pager barb!!! and the kitty page is so sweet!

meluv2scrap said...

Great LO's!!! You have been busy!

Nathalie said...

Your three LOs are fabulous Barb! I love the white space, colors and mixed alphas with the journaling in the first one, the second one is so fun and full of movement and the last one is WOW!!! You should "experiment" more because the result is a winner!!!! :D Enjoy your 4th of July celebration by the river! :D

just jennifer said...

love the OA layout! I've ordered more because I just can't get enough of it! Enjoy your 4th!

Lori Gentile said...

I love all of your layouts. I'm so impressed with how fast you work. I wish I could bottle that up!