Friday, June 25, 2010

I think summer's here!

We've had upper 80's to 90+ temperatures, lots of humidity and RAIN again this week. A big old storm Wednesday night caused the fire alarm at hubby's workplace to go off, and he had to go out there in the pouring rain to turn it off and make sure the building was secure. Had to wait, though, until the rain let up a bit -- the downpour was so heavy outside of town that he couldn't see where he was going. Our A/C is getting quite the workout. I do laundry and dishes either late at night or early in the day when the temps are cooler, so I don't heat up the house any more than necessary; and forget running the oven!

It's been a good week to stay inside.

There are several great crops and challenges going on right now -- First, there's Summer Camp Rock 3 at Scrapbookdeals4U, with a weekly challenge based on a rock song or artist. Then there's the month-long First Anniversay Birthday Bash at Cookin' Up Scrapbooking Creations. And this weekend, check out the Summer Lovin' Mini Crop at Simply Obsessed Scrapbooking! I love challenges because they give me great ideas for layouts that otherwise I might not have done, and sometimes they get me to reach outside my comfort zone and try new styles or techniques.

My kit addiction has gotten worse, and to justify buying NEW kits, I've challenged myself to use some of my older ones this past week or so. This one used a February 2009 Basic Grey Bittersweet kit from Paper Posies. The only things not in my kit were the ribbon, rhinestones and the little white flower. I diecut the brown letters and the stemmed flowers but I used cardstock from the kit.

The next two are done with more recent kits from ScrapbookDeals4U and TopShelfMemories.

This one is Bella Blvd's Estate Sale. The inspirations were a sketch from Sketch Inspiration and a SD4U challenge to use a Lady GaGa song in the title or journaling. This cool chick is my oldest granddaughter at age 2 months. She's 12 now and still knows how to rock the sunglasses look.


That was actually the second attempt at the Paparazzi page. The first time I completed it, I didn't like it. I mean, I really loathed the way it turned out. So I carefully removed the photos, title and star, then rearranged them and added a couple of new things. So much happier now!

And this one is Green at Heart from Basic Grey. It's such a bright, happy line with all of these juicy oranges, pinks, yellows and green. Don't you just love that little beaver sticker?


These pictures were taken at the Donna Wolf Steigerwaldt/Jockey International Fountains in Kenosha, WI. The Jockey company is headquartered there, and Ms. Steigerwaldt's family is(was?) principal owners. She was president/chairman of the company for 25 years and was a very smart and successful businesswoman. The charity she started have built these family centered fountains in Kenosha, Sarasota and maybe other cities. They're the ones with the flat fountains coming out of the basin, and kids can play in them. Looking forward to visiting when they're turned on!

I've done a few cards too -- another great way to use up that older paper! This one, using Wild Saffron papers from K $ Co., is my favorite:



The bottom front of the card is scalloped; the red underneath actually is part of the inside of the card. I've never tried that before, but I liked the effect. The lady bug is pieced from a pattern on Scrapbooks Etc's website. It's going to a friend who was in a nasty car accident a couple weeks ago and is recovering from several broken bones.

We've got a break in the weather today, but more rain is predicted tonight, and more 90+ degree weather for the weekend. Stay cool!

6 comments:

Keianna said...

Love your next generation layout. Great design.

just jennifer said...

you've been busy again! where do you find the time!! It hit 100 today (or darn close). thankfully we're heading to the mountains tomorrow for a week!

BabyBokChoy said...

Beautiful layouts Barb, the first one really really is lovely, I think you do such a wonderful job capturing the moments and documenting the stories!

angie gutshall said...

Those layouts are awesome! I'm really lovin the design of the first one!!

lisaplus5 said...

your los are perfect... i really love the photos and feelings of love and family.... they are wonderful!

mommyof5kidz said...

WOW!!! You have been busy!! You sure are making us for all the lost scrappy time during the days of DD's wedding! LOL>..GORGEOUS stuff in here, Barb!!!!