Friday, June 4, 2010

Did I mention ...

that I love challenges? And there are a couple of great month-long challenges right now:

Cookin' Up Creations just launched a month-long Happy First Birthday Bash Celebration. The forum is full of friendly, talented members. You'll also find great challenges and fun games on the forum there. The May Flowers month long challenge just ended and was lots of fun. (I am also thrilled to be this month's "Chef of the Month" there.) And Paper Posies hosted a week-long fifth anniversary celebration in May.

And ScrapbookDeals4U kicked off its Summer Camp Rock! That's in addition to the twice-monthly design team challenges and a total of three monthly sketch challenges. You won't want to miss it!

A Million Memories just unveiled the June sketch challenge. Check it out! There are also some great sketch challenges at Sketch Inspiration, Inspired Blueprints and The Everyday Scrapper.

So, all these challenges have the mojo positively revved up right now. Here are a few that I finished in the past week or so:


Hooray -- my album for our anniversary trip to Michigan is finished! This was the final page that I completed for it. The sketch design was inspired by an ad challenge posted by DT member Heather at SD4U. The papers are October Afternoon's "Farm Fresh":


Oldest daughter Heather sent me the link to some photos she took on Mother's Day, and so far I've done three layouts with them. The sketch is by Robin Wade, DT member at Cookin' Up Creations. The papers and flower embellishments are Basic Grey "Origins". Aren't her little guys sweet?

These photos were from Mother's Day (maybe taken by her son Ethan?) but the layout is celebrating Heather and Dustin's 9th wedding anniversary (and 15th anniversary of their first date -- Heather's prom!) last Tuesday. The sketch is from Trisha at Sketch Inspiration . Papers are Basic Grey Offbeat. I cut out some of the motifs from the paper and used pop dots to add some dimension.




The third one is Cameron on the swings, with a page design inspired by an ad challenge by DT member Jen at Cookin' Up Creations. The paper is Cosmo Cricket's "Halfway Cafe and JilliBean Soup. The little birdie stamp is by Imaginisce


A sketch by Robin Wade also inspired this layout. My grandson Ryan loves dinosaurs, so I took him and my mom to Kenosha to visit daughter Kristen and to see the mammoth bones on display at the public museum. Ryan usually hates to have his picture taken, but he was happy to pose with the recreation of the mammoth as its skeleton would look if it were all put together. The thing is, by the time I stood back far enough to get all of the mammoth model, Ryan doesn't show up well. I put the photo into black and white, then restored color to Ryan, to make him show up a bit more. His sister, Shelbie was here last weekend and helped me out with this layout. We decided to title it "Where's Waldo?" because it reminded us of the books. And we added an arrow (which Shelbie painted for me with a sponge brush and acrylic paint) so you can find him. The papers are Basic Grey Archaic (of course!)



Shelbie and her sister spent a rainy day making cards for their mom's upcoming birthday. I took pictures and created a layout of them working under Ed the Scrap Cat's watchful eye. The paper is Fancy Pants from a while back.


This one is a scraplift of a layout by member "Babydoll" at Cookin' Up Designs. The photo was taken on a family vacation to Hilton Head, South Carolina back in 1995, either before or after a dolphin-watching boat ride. This could have been titled "Are We Having Fun Yet?" The boys hated to have their pictures taken, they were hot, etc. The photo wouldn't scan well, so I ended up using the original. The fading and scratches that it accumulated over the years sort of add character. The papers and chipboard stickers are Scenic Route; the title is by Me and My Big Ideas.


I realized after I completed this one that I have two layouts from daughter Kristen's wedding entitled "Lovely". But all of the girls truly were lovely. I used a sketch by Trisha at Sketch Inspiration. The papers are Bella Blvd's Estate Sale; I sprayed a white organdy flower by Prima with glimmer mist and glitter spray. The "stem" is a chipboard flourish painted with FolkArt Extreme Glitter paint and a foam brush. I used a Prima packaging as a stencil for that little flourish in the top corner. And for extra dimension, I cut out some of the motifs from the papers and pop dotted them - I like doing that!

I made several cards for the online crop at Paper Posies -- the first was a scraplift of DT member Shemaine's design. The papers are Fancy Pants.


This was a quick card using Basic Grey Mellow paper; I cut the "flowers" and leaves out of the paper, folded the leaves up for dimension -- and there are those pop dots again.



And these three were part of a challenge at Paper Posies: pull out what's left of a kit and make as many cards as you can in one hour. So I grabbed what's left of last summer's Bloom and Grow kit from SD4U -- I've done half a dozen layouts and several cards, these three below, and I still have some papers and pretties left!





Thanks for looking! Have a great weekend

14 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow that's a lot of layouts in one post - Good for you! I didn't realize you were our Willow Heather's mom! How fun is that :)

pink said...

Wow!!!! Barb you make me look like a slacker because you are so productive!!! :)

Great layouts and cards!

Melanie Stanczyk said...

Wow Barb, look at you go! I think challenges are fun and a great way to get lots done. Your creations are so fun!

just jennifer said...

oh my word that is a lot of scrapping! Looks like you've been having fun!

twinkles11 said...

wow you completed a lot of projects. love your layouts but adore your cards! great work.

BabyBokChoy said...

You sure cranked out some amazingly beautiful creations!! delightful stuff!!

Cracker Scraps said...

Still trying to wrap my brain around one picture layouts where the picture isn't even bigger than 4X6. Not a criticism just an observation...I think I'm not quite up with the times...You do demonstrate a wide variety of styles and I like that!

Leah Crowe said...

WOW Barb.. congrats on Chef of the month!! Love all your layouts, their so pretty!

Julie said...

holy cow barb! that's a lot of scrappy goodness to share!!!!

angie gutshall said...

Wow you have been busy! Beautiful layouts!

Janine Rachau said...

Wow! So much to take in! I, always admire your work! But, for some reason that Offbeat layout really catches my eyes,...I think it's the colors,...but I'm not sure. Your cards are fabulous too!

Melonie said...

WOW! SO much inspiration here!! Fantastic projects:)

lisaplus5 said...

wow!! you have been busy! so many lovely designs here!! :) i especially love the Mother's Day page :) thank you for the comments about my TERRIFYING (sweet) lion :)

Heather Landry said...

Wow! You have been so busy! Your Where's Waldo layout cracked me up! Too funny. I love your cards. I'm always so impressed by people who make beautiful cards because I struggle so much with it. Awesome post with a ton of inspiration!