Saturday, October 24, 2009

It's a girls' weekend at Grandma's house!

We have had our youngest granddaughter, Anna, in the house since Wednesday afternoon while her daddy recovers from what looks like the flu. My daughter was worried about exposing Anna to the virus. She has been her usual charming and happy little self, but I think she is missing Mommy and Daddy. His fever went down last night and today, and it's been 5 days since he became ill, so it looks like she probably can safely go home tomorrow.

My other two granddaughters, age 11 and 8, came yesterday to spend the night also. Anna's mommy was here on Friday too; the five of us girls had a good time going to McDonald's. Grandpa felt more than a little overwhelmed by all the girliness!

During the week, I did manage to make a couple of cards. This one was for my niece's baby shower:

I did this layout early in the week for the THAW challenge at Willow Traders. The challenge was to scrap my favorite "nut(s)". I focused on four of them -- my oldest four grandkids having fun together during a sleepover at Grandma's.




I also used the layout for a challenge at Paper Posies: to use a border, strip journaling and pop dots. I cut out a few of the motifs and pop dotted them onto the patterned paper to add some dimension.

THAW #9 asked us to use an idea from a magazine or idea book. I chose to scraplift a layout by Rita Shimniok in the Fall issue of Scrapbooking and Beyond, using a photo taken during our vacation in Michigan.



I sandwiched this layout in between lunch and Anna's naptime Friday -- took me a little under 45 minutes, including printing the photo, and I posted it five minutes before the challenge deadline! Didn't know I could move that fast, scrapwise!

I had hoped to do some scrapping tonight, but this grandma is feeling pretty tired. I think I may take a hot bath, pour a glass of wine and relax a bit, then go to bed.

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

LisaNRoxy said...

Way to rock the challenges Barb!! You did a great job. love your "nuts" Poor hubby did have a lot of girly - didn't he - I bet he really loved it ;)

Thomisia said...

Nice card and great job on the challenges!

angie gutshall said...

Wow Your card is so cute and I love both your layouts!!

Lara said...

OMG! I just love the layout of all your grandkids acting silly! What a great moment to capture!!!

I did a layout once of all the crazy pics my family has taken. And I had this quote that said, "It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous, that you realize how much you love them" - Agatha Christie. Loved it and thought that it was great for a layout like yours!!

Great job!

Bibi said...

How fun that you got to spend some time with your grandkids! Hope you SIL feels better soon.

LOVE the layouts and your niece is gonna love that card!