Friday, September 18, 2009

TGIF!

After the summer off, I subbed at a high school Thursday for a science teacher whose wife (the school's art teacher) had a baby boy on Wednesday night; then I went back to the same school today to sub for the home economics/sociology teacher. This afternoon, the family living class turned out to be six senior boys -- and their current project is sewing the most adorable stuffed pumpkins from velvet fabric. It was kind of fun to watch them help each other cut, pin and sew and to listen to their banter as they worked. The kids were great both days; but I have to admit, it wore me out and this afternoon I needed an after-school nap!

MORE PHOTOS OF HALLOWEENS PAST!

When I scrapped the photo of Jeff's first Halloween costume last week, it was so much fun that I dug out two more of those old Halloween pictures and scrapped them for LEO challenge #7 and #8 at Willow Traders. The photos are not the greatest (they were undoubtedly taken with a Kodak Instamatic) but I love them for the memories that they spark.

This was for LEO challenge #7, to use some of the older stuff in our scrap stash, and to include buttons or ribbon too. The papers were Junkitz and Daisy D's from a couple of years ago. These photos are from 1982, my oldest daughter was four and my older son was 2. I made their costumes, and they were so excited to go trick or treating.


I used the paper bag that had wrapped a kit from Zany Zinnia for my die cut flowers and that zig zag edged strip on the left side. Loved the way those flowers turned out! I was also able to use this same layout for a challenge as part of the "Cramfest" at ScrapbookDeals4U.

For challenge #8, we had to make a flower and use it. I grabbed some felt at Walmart and used it with a Sizzix die, then layered the pieces to make one big flower. The photos here are from 1990, and by then there were four little goblins: Jeff was 5, Jason was 10, Heather was 12 and Kristen was 2.



I'm taking the "When Live Gives You Lemons: Make Sweet Pages From Sour Photos" class by Sherry Steveson at Get It Scrapped, and this photo qualified for lesson 1: there were distracting background elements, too much space above the kids' heads, weird lighting and marks on the photo. I cropped the top and sides, inked the edges to hide the fact that the photos were a bit blotchy there, and hid some distractions with flocked felt spider webs frm We R Memory Keepers and the flower. AND ... the sketch was from 52 Sketches ... in 52 Weeks.

I love it when one layout works for more than challenge!

No comments: