Friday, August 21, 2009

Please tell me that someone ...

... does this besides me! When I layer patterned papers and even cardstock, I hate to "waste" the parts of the paper that are hidden under other layers or larger elements. So, I cut out the part that otherwise would be hidden and save it for die cuts, journaling tags or other elements. I've even figured out a way to use my Fiskars paper cutter to do it!

Here, I am going to put a framed photo over my pretty patterned paper. So, I decide where I want to place my frame:



I mark the corners of the space the element will cover, then use my paper cutter to cut the center out of the area:




That leaves me with my base layer and an extra piece to use later for die cutting or other elements:




I'm still working on the layout that includes this photo; but I did finish a quick card with scraps from other projects:

16 comments:

Heather said...

Nice tutorial. And I do that, too! Waste not, want not...right?

That's an old photo...is that Alf on his shirt, LOL!

Blessings, Janine said...

Lol! I do it all the time with patterned paper. I'm always trying to make the most of them. One of the times that I skipped this step, about three years ago, I wasted a sheet that I cannot stop feeling guilty about, to this day. If only I had that scrap!!! LOL

Cute page and adorable picture. LOVE the colors. Fun card too! tfs.

Barbara said...

I do it all the time!! Paper is costly and I'm frugal, so I make the best of it. =)

Love the layout and that card is darling!

LisaNRoxy said...

You clever girl! Thanks for the great tutorial. I have not done it but I will from now on. Sometimes I get anxiety when I am covering up my favorite sheets! Great fix. Love the card - so bright and fun - brought a smile to my face!

Andrea Amu said...

Raising my hand! I do this too, especially if it's a pattern that I really love!

stamprgrl said...

yay.... I am not the only one odd monkey... wooohooo... I do it too, and my hubby calls me extremist... LOL!!!

-- dalis

Nathalie said...

And I do it too! Especially with papers I love!

jennmom2000 said...

I love this tip! I've also done this. Some papers are just too pretty to cover up.

lisaplus5 said...

i am so glad we are in that together! i always cut out my middles (becase my pages are layer after layer!!!) and reuse! i love your page. i always have trouble with frames, but your used it so well! thank you for sharing!

WriterGirl said...

Yes, I've done that! LOL!!

Patricia said...

I usually do that if the paper is just too good to waste any! Cute card!!

Lori Gentile said...

I don't. LOL! That would take more time and I'm much too lazy. hehe. I love both projects!!

Angie said...

I've done it every once in a while but I really need to do it more often! It really would save me some money lol. Great LO's

"The Bag Lady" said...

I often think about doing that but I know that I move things around often so I would kick myself later if there was a hole I couln't cover up. A combination of nerves and laziness. Crushing on that bird paper.

Stacy Cohen said...

I do this with my "good" paper. I'm glad I'm not the only frugal one.

Diana said...

I do this sometimes- I recently realized though that I have way too many scraps- so only occasionally